By WIN Contributor: Shauna Pierrynowski PTA, RNCP
As I took a good look at the calendar this past weekend I realized that it’s going to be mid-July soon and almost every weekend is full! My work week is always busy with responsibilities each day. I had a moment of exhaustion just thinking about this! How am I going to schedule another get-together, family time, clients, weeding the garden, laundry, outdoor work, and the many other day-to-day things to do?!
I found myself almost in a panic then I thought to myself …. Shauna, you need to load the kayak up into the truck grab your paddle and lifejacket and have some ME time to energize myself!
I know I am not alone on this topic. Many of us lead super busy lives and a common challenge is creating time for ourselves. Finding 10-20 min a day for “me” time can sometimes feel impossible and also makes us feel guilty. What we don’t realize is how VERY important this time is even if it is only 10 min in your day.
Cultivating and awareness of our thoughts, feelings and we physically feel can help us feel refreshed and more productive. Once we realize that the dusting can really wait, and take time for self care, we can better manage stress and be more resilient and focused as we tackle our everyday lives.
Here are some suggestions on how to create me time:
1. Create a Daily Ritual – Ideas: go for a walk, read on your lunch, meditate, 15 minutes of yoga, wake up 15 minutes earlier to sit outside before the day starts
2. Ask for Help – when it comes to the little things ask your spouse or kids to pitch in!
3. Learn to say NO – if you just can’t make it work its ok to just say no!
4. Evaluate the things you are wasting time on – stop checking emails every 5 min, turn your phone off, meal plan and grocery shop in advance to create more time.
5. Decide on how you will spend ME time – Ideas: bike rides, reading, yoga, kayaking, sitting at the park, laying in the hammock, listening to music!
6. Make a wish list – Ideas: a place to go, things you want to try, a new craft etc…
7. Let Go of the guilt – Just remember Rome was not built in a day J
8. Write it down – plan your me time by putting it into your calendar.
However we decide to use our “me” time is totally up to us. We cannot put a price on the overall health benefits that are developed by creating this time. So in closing the WIN Health Solutions Niagara team hopes you have an enjoyable summer filled with fun, laughter, family and friends, vacation, BBQ’s, outdoor house projects and most important we hope you find some time for YOU!